Shaved Cauliflower Salad with Lemon Garlic Dressing
You never know where inspiration for a dish will come from. I recently read somewhere about a white salad--it sounded lovely--with cauliflower, potatoes, toasted, bread cubes and blue cheese. This white salad stuck in my mind, but, I wondered, could it be lightened up? I walked the aisles of my local organic grocer looking for vegetables with the palest hues, and found a palette of veggies that simply made me swoon. This white salad will pair perfectly with any off-dry Riesling or any full flavored white with bright citrus notes balanced by deep minerals.
Lemon and Garlic Dressing
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 2 lemons, juiced and zested
- ½ cup raw pistachios
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- Pinch of fresh cracked pepper
- Parmesano reggiano (optional)
- 1 small head of cauliflower, cored and shaved
- 2 pale green sunburst squash, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- 4 pale yellow carrots, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 heads of Belgian endive
1. Mix all of the salad dressing ingredients and let stand.
2. Core and shave cauliflower.
3. Half and then thinly slice the sunburst squash.
4. Finely chop the onions and pale yellow carrots.
5. Chop the Belgian endive.
6. Add all ingredients to a large mixing bowl and lightly toss with the dressing.
This salad is endlessly adaptable. It can change with the seasons and to your taste. Other additions or substitutions could be celery, jicama, apples, pears, baby peas, fava beans, green grapes, napa cabbage, or try doing marcona almonds instead of the pistachios. Of course, this salad is easy to make vegan, just leave out the Parmesan and perhaps add a bit of nutritional yeast or miso to the dressing for a savory kick.
Visit the Green Wine Guide for more vegetarian recipes and wine pairings.
Fan us on Facebook for daily recipes.