Gingery sweet potato and apple saute with toasted almonds [Vegan]
I love the combination of sweet from the apple and sweet potatoes, and spicy from the ginger in this recipe. It is just the perfect balance of flavors to make something really interesting and delicious. This goes great on a bed of fresh greens -- baby spinach would work perfectly. I used arugula here, but the bitterness of the greens didn't pair as well as something more subtle like spinach would. A sprinkling of sliced or slivered almonds adds just a bit of crunch for the perfect meal.
Adapted from Fast, Fresh & Green by Susie Middleton.
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp low-sodium vegetable broth
1 tbsp vegan butter
2 tbsp olive oil
2 medium sweet potatoes, unpeeled and diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
1 Golden Delicious apple, unpeeled, cored and diced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
2 tbsp toasted sliced almonds
Optional: greens, such as baby spinach
1. In a small bowl, mix together the vinegar and broth. Set aside.
2. In a large saute pan, heat the vegan butter and half the olive oil together over medium heat. Add the sweet potatoes, onion and a sprinkle of salt. Reduce the heat to medium-low, but keep it high enough that the ingredients still sizzle. Stir occasionally, cooking until the onions are softened and both the sweet potatoes and onions start to brown.
3. Add the rest of the olive oil and the apple. Stirring frequently, cook until the sweet potatoes are tender and the apple and onion are browned.
4. Add the ginger and stir. Reduce heat to low, add the vinegar and broth mixture, and stir well to combine, gently scraping the bottom of the pan to incorporate the browned bits. Add the parsley and stir quickly again. Remove from heat.
5. Place a few spoonfuls over a bed of greens, and top with the toasted almonds. Serve, and enjoy!