Top 10 Tips for Starting a School Recycling Program
Ever thought of starting a recycling program in your school? Well, here are some great tips to make it happen.
1. Find out who else in your school is passionate about recycling and is willing to help!
2. Decide what can be recycled in your school district. Items such as paper, plastic, printer cartridges, batteries or clothing are all fair game.
3. Form a recycling club to be responsible for the program.
4. Determine who will get the recyclables to the transfer station. Some potential candidates include custodians, parents, volunteers or in many areas the trash company or town itself.
5. Decide where to store your schools recyclables until transport.
6. Find out how many classroom, lounge and cafeteria recycling containers will be needed, and then raise money for their purchase.
7. Have committee or club members make presentations to each classroom about the importance of recycling.
8. Weigh and measure recyclables and post this information for the entire school to see to encourage more recycling.
9. Hold contests and competitions between grade levels or classrooms to see who can recycle the most.
10. Find fun things to do with the funds raised by collecting bottle-return money!