Pop Quiz: World's Tallest Tree


Answer: C) 379.1 feet
Redwood trees are the tallest in the world, routinely reaching 300 feet into the air. The tallest Redwood ever discovered, named 'Hyperion', "stretches 70 feet (21 meters) farther toward the sky than the Statue of Liberty," making it 379.1 feet tall. However, according to the Save the Redwoods League, of the original 2 million acres of ancient coast redwood forest, approximately 95% has been logged, and approximately 18% of existing coast redwood forests is in a park or reserve. The remaining 82% is vulnerable to logging because it is either held privately or in a national forest.

Like This? Check Out:
Hyperion Beats out World's Tallest Tree
Old-Growth Again--Forever Redwood Furniture
There Goes the Forest: Bush Administration Opens 3 Million Acres to Logging
Trees Versus SPVs: Which Do You Hug?
The Diesel Tree: Grow Your Own Oil

Source: National Geographic :: Save-the-Redwoods-League

Tags: Deforestation

2014 Gift Guide

WHAT'S HOT ON FACEBOOK