Memorial Day is Coming: Tips for a Long, Green Weekend
This coming weekend, the US celebrates Memorial Day; for many of us, that means a day off on Monday. With spring waning and summer almost here, it's a great time to get outdoors and prepare for a summer of fun, or catch up on some spring chores that you haven't gotten around to yet. Whatever your long weekend holds, we hope you make it green; here are some tips and ideas for your green weekend.
1) Start a garden; here are some ideas to get you started, and here are some tips for doing it with the planet in mind.
2) If spring cleaning is still on your list, be sure to use eco-friendly cleaners to help get the green job done; check out our How to Green Your Cleaning to really get down to the nitty-gritty.
3) If your spring cleaning extends to culling and organizing your stuff, here are some ways to get organized, and some inspiring words to help get rid of stuff you don't use -- remember, you don't have to throw it all away.
4) Starting a compost heap or picking up a compost bin is a great start to fertilizing that new garden (that you planted in tip 1), and you can get a container that even fits right in your kitchen and doesn't smell!
5) If a little outdoor time is on your schedule, hop on the world's most energy efficient vehicle: your bicycle; even the cool kids are doing it and you can charge your cell phone and get ready for the next World Naked Bike Ride event at the same time.