Happy World Vegetarian Day!
TreeHugger keeps saying that one of the best things you can do to reduce your carbon footprint is to eat less meat; in the UK some are even proposing that it be rationed. Perhaps today is good day to go without; it is World Vegetarian Day.
The North American Vegetarian Society suggests some other good reasons not to eat meat:Benefits of vegetarianism include:
• reducing the risk of major killers like heart disease, stroke and cancers while cutting exposure to food borne pathogens;
• offering a viable answer to feeding the world's hungry, through more efficient use of grains and other crops;
• saving animals from suffering in factory farm conditions and from painful slaughter;
• conserving vital, but limited freshwater, fertile topsoil and other precious resources;
• preserving irreplaceable ecosystems, such as rainforests and other wildlife habitats;
• mitigating the ever-expanding environmental pollution of animal agriculture; and the list goes on. ::World Vegetarian Day
More TreeHugger on Vegetarianism:
Proven: Vegetarians Live Longer
Cut Global Warming by Becoming Vegetarian
Smart Kids More Likely to be Vegetarians
How to Become a Vegetarian
see also our sister site ::Petfinder.com