Quotes from Copenhagen ("We are on the Titanic")
Photo: Gruenenrw on Flickr.
"I have the feeling of dread that we are on the Titanic and sinking fast, but we can't launch any life boats because a member of the crew has decided that we are not sinking and that we have to have informal consultations to decide whether we are sinking or not."
Ian Fry, chief negotiator for Tuvalu
"The rich countries of the north helped bankers, the big banks. I've forgotten the figure, but it's astronomical. What they're saying on the streets is that 'if the climate was a bank they would already have saved it'. I think it's true."
Hugo Chavez, President of Venezuela"If (former Vice President) Dick Cheney can argue that even a 1 percent chance of a terrorist attack is 100 percent justification for preemptive action, then surely, when scientists tell us that climate change is nearly a 100 percent certainty, we ought to be able to stand together...and join in an all out effort to combat a mortal threat to the life of this planet."
John Kerry, US Senator.
More from Copenhagen COP15
• Whose Summit? Our Summit! Bella Center Erupts in Protest (Slideshow)
• Copenhagen Forecast: Snow, Protest, Apocalypse; Can Obama Clear the Air?
• All or Nothing: A Look at the Copenhagen Endgame
• Will the Biggest Success of COP15 be an Anti-Deforestation Deal?
• Copenhagen COP15 Progress Report: None?
• Tuvalu Negotiator Delivers a Tear-Jerking Call for the Toughest Climate Treaty at Copenhagen