'Just What We Needed' Department: How To Make Big Money Off Climate Change
Lake Josephine and Grinnell Glacier, Glacier National Park, Oil on canvas, JOHN FERY (Austrian/American 1859-1934) Image credit:Jackson Auctions.
Obvious high end market example: A company called Serac Water offers bottled Mount Ranier glacier melt, calling it "Genuine Glacial Milk." Cost is US$96.00 per case of 12 20-ounce bottles, plus shipping of course. Get it while it lasts, I guess. (Given that PBDE's have been found in lakes fed by Rainier's glacial runoff, let's hope they carbon filter it before bottling.)
Lost environments in landscape art. It's a safe bet that as famous glaciers melt away, famous paintings of them will increase greatly in value (as pictured) George Washington Crossing The Delaware comes to mind as a coming end-of-century example. Such a wintry scenes in fine art will become intrinsically more valuable as climate extremes become regarded as a 'normal' part of the landscape.
There are plenty of other possibilities, some of which are listed below. Did I miss any big opportunities to get rich off climate change?
- survivalist gear
- home well drilling and filtration equipment
- newsletters keeping businesses appraised of carbon and energy regulatory change
- lobbying services in Washington DC
- moving and shipping services
- mobile homes and emergency shelters
- renewable energy generation and power storage equipment
- private security services to cope with social disorganization
- water storage tanks