Fantastic People-Friendly Urban Planning in London (Video)
StreetFilms Explores Design for London's Vision for Livable StreetsStreetFilms does it again! No sooner had we announced that they, along with their partner projects StreetsBlog and the Livable Streets Initiative, were winners of the Best Transportation Advocacy category in our Best of Green Awards that they post this awesome video about the Design for London project - an initiative that was founded to support the delivery of well-designed projects, from parks to street planning to individual buildings, across London. It is, as we've come to expect from these guys, a great insight into just how much the little things matter in creating pleasant, open spaces in which people take precedence over motor cars. Click below the fold ti find out what makes Design for London tick, as well as a whole host of other great StreetFilms about planning, transportation and beautiful, livable streets. The list of projects that Design for London has been invoved in is way too many to list here - from area redesigns to infrastructure development to the 100 Public Spaces program - a full list of Design for London projects can be found on their site. In the meantime, here's an idea of their core values:
Good stuff. And as always we are so grateful to StreetFilms for bringing projects like this to a wider global audience.
Design for London promotes:
• Good design and the importance of involving architects and urban designers throughout the development process.
• High standards of environmental performance and sustainability in all of its work.
• Legible, accessible and democratic streets and spaces where the citizen has unrestricted public access.
• The very best designers in their fields as well as opportunities for young and new designers to build their reputation.
• Innovation, research and debate around best practice, particularly in sustainable design, high density and affordable housing and the design of public spaces and streets.
• Broader spatial thinking and the master-planning of areas to guide investment and development decisions and to capture the longer term benefits for communities throughout London.
• Wide participation in design debates.
• Research into new and innovative ways to fund the enhancement of public spaces in London.
More StreetFilms Sustainable Transportation and Planning VideosFree Bike Cages Offer Safe Parking for CommutersBike Co-ops Thrive in LABoulder, Colorado Achieves Platinum Bike StatusWikis Take ManhattanStreetFilm’s Visits Boulder’s Contraflow Bike-LaneFree Bikes for Governors IslandStreetFilms Covers Best of Bike to Work DayRaised Cross-walksTraffic-calming ChicanesBike Advocate Keeps Memory of Her Husband AliveClarence the Cycling SasquatchBogota Shows How to Reinvent CitiesBogota RevisitedStreetFilms Looks at Bus Rapid Transit in LAMelbourne: A Pedestrian’s ParadiseIstanbul Learns from BogotaClarence: The Purple Traffic-Calming WizardPhysically Separated Bike LanesNYC’s First Documented Bike Move?StreetFilms Grades New Yorkers’ Bike Locking AbilitiesLady Liberty Dumps the Car and Marries Mass TransitStreetFilms Animation Explores Diverters as Traffic Calming Measure