Youth Bike Summit NYC January 14 - 16, 2011
Recycle A Bicycle's upcoming Youth Bike Summit is January 14th - 16th in New York City. The conference is a 3 day gathering geared towards students, educators, and advocates aiming to inspire people from different educational disciplines to explore, network, and learn how bicycling can be a legitimate and safe form of transportation for today's youth. If you planning on actually biking to the event, given the snow on the ground here in NYC, you may need to put some zip ties on those tires! Full event details after popping a wheelie over the jump.The Youth Bike Summit will offer educational workshops and panel discussions on subjects ranging from how to advocate for bike lanes to basic bike maintenance. It will also provide tools and information on fundraising and best practices for schools that wish to incorporate bikes into the physical fabric of the learning environment. Check out the event details below, it looks like it'll be a lot of fun!
YOUTH BIKE SUMMIT 2011
Featuring NYC Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan
WHEN: Friday January 14 - Sunday January 16, 2011
WHERE: The New School, Johnson/Kaplan Hall, 66 West 12th Street NYC
ONLINE REGISTRATION: http://youthbikesummit.eventbrite.com/
ADMISSION: $10.00 per person for the three-day event. Registration continues in-person at the event. The following meals will be provided: Friday dinner, Saturday breakfast and lunch, and Sunday brunch.
Friday January 14
5:00pm - 8:00pm - Welcome / Registration / Roller Races!
Saturday January 15
8:30am - 10:00am - Breakfast & Keynote Introduction by NYC Transportation Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan
10:15am - 11:30am - Workshop Session I
- Tools for Change: Engagement -- Bicycles & You, Velo City / Transportation Alternatives
- How To Start a Kids Ride Club -- Woodhull Hospital / NYC Department of Health / Ride Club Participants
- Youth Ambassadors for Cycling & the Environment -- Bikes Not Bombs - Boston, MA
- Green Maps, Cycling & Cities Around the World -- Green Map System
11:45am - 1:00pm - Workshop Session II
- Our Changing Streets & You -- NYC Department of Transportation Safety Education
- Bike to School Day in Brooklyn -- Bike New York
- Mentoring Best Practices -- Community Bicycle Center - Biddeford, ME
- Tales from Tucson: Youth Participation in a Bike Cooperative & Cycling Team -- BICAS (Bicycle Inter-Community Art & Salvage) - Tucson, AZ
- Basic Bike Maintenance -- Recycle-A-Bicycle
1:00pm - 2:15pm - Lunch & Presentation by Alliance for Climate Education
2:30pm - 4:00pm - Tabling / 3:00 - 3:30pm - Bike Snippets
4:00pm - 5:15pm - Workshop Session III
- Take Action on Climate Change -- Alliance for Climate Education
- The Bike As a Tool: How Mountain Biking Helps Kids with Simple Life Lessons -- Trips for Kids Metro New York
- How To Increase Biking In Your Town -- Times Up!
- Recycled Bicycle Jewelry -- Recycle-A-Bicycle
- Executive Directors Roundtable -- Recycle-A-Bicycle
Sunday January 16
10:00am - 1:00pm - Breakfast & Food for Thought (+ Action!)
ACCOMMODATIONS: For groups traveling from out of town, we recommend Hosteling International New York for accommodations. Guests of the Youth Bike Summit can reserve rooms at a reduced rate through their website with the promotion code YBS2011. Promotion is effective January 13-19.
The Youth Bike Summit was made possible by generous and ongoing support from The New School, Bike New York, the J.M. Kaplan Fund, REI, Bicycle Habitat & The Government of the Netherlands.