TreeHugger is Hiring, and If You're a Web Developer, We Want to Hire You!
We need help turning that big wheel thingy. (Image from Snopes)
TreeHugger is looking for an experienced Pythonista/Djangonaut to help take us to the next level. We've got some exciting projects in the pipeline and need an eager developer ready to jump in and hack away. Read on for details...TreeHugger.com, an important web property within Discovery's Digital Media portfolio, is the leading media outlet dedicated to driving sustainability mainstream. TreeHugger.com has over 5M unique visitors and 15 million page views per month. Partial to a modern aesthetic, TreeHugger strives to be a one-stop shop for green news, solutions, and product information. TreeHugger also publishes an up-to-the-minute blog, weekly and daily newsletters, weekly radio interviews, and regularly updated Twitter and Facebook pages.
TreeHugger is seeking an experienced Web Developer to help us build and maintain the #1 green website. The Web Developer is responsible for supporting existing infrastructure, developing new web applications and tools, conducting system administration, including web and database servers, and providing general tech support for TreeHugger's team of editors and writers. Additionally, the Web Developer will be responsible for research, analysis, design and delivery of other Discovery projects. The Web Developer seeks to improve processes and make them repeatable, where possible, to promote efficiency, and actively pursues opportunities to broaden and deepen technical proficiencies.
1. Collaborates with other team members to analyze, design, and build deliverables.
2. Strong communication skills (both in person and in writing) while interacting with individuals with a range of technical understanding.
3. Recommends and implements end-to-end preventative measures that seek to minimize cross-team or cross-system deficiencies and improve quality and efficiency.
4. Develops using industry and department best-practices and standards with special attention to usability, reliability, performance and site optimization
5. Document design and code deliverables.
6. Able to train other team members on environment and best practices.
7. Seeks to minimize defects by thoroughly testing deliverables prior to handoff.
8. Conducts web page load performance testing and tuning.
9. Conducts cross-browser compatibility design and testing.
10. Performs general site and application maintenance and operations, as necessary.
- B.S. in Computer Science
- 3 years of Web Application development experience using Python - Django experience a strong plus
- Expertise testing and debugging using tools such as Firebug and django-debug-toolbar
- Experience with database design and optimization
- Experience with Apache/Linux
- Experience with distributed source control systems, preferably Git
- Experience working in a dynamic, fast-paced application development environment
- Ability to work well independently and within a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
- Experience managing a sizable Movable Type installation
- Akamai or other edge caching
- Web design
- RabbitMQ or other messaging queues
- Integration of 3rd party SDKs and APIs
- Telecommuting possible.
- Minimal travel required.
- Position reports to TreeHugger's Senior Online Developer.
**Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice. Not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. Discovery values the unique point of view each employee brings to the workplace. We strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich audiences we wish to attract and serve.**
To be considered for this position, please visit our website at: https://careers-discovery.icims.com/jobs/4118/job.
Discovery Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer