TreeHugger and UNEP Announce Third Annual World Environment Day Blogging Competition
TreeHugger and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) are excited to announce the launch of the World Environment Day 2012 Blogging Competition. For the past two years, we have proudly partnered with UNEP to help bring attention to World Environment Day (WED) and we're thrilled to be partnering again on this fun contest.
If you're a blogger, journalist, photographer or a passionate environmentalist, you can win an opportunity to travel with UNEP and TreeHugger to Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to attend World Environment Day 2012, June 3 - 6 and help us cover the event!
Here's how it will work:
All you need to do for a chance to win is blog about the World Environment Day theme - the Green Economy - between now and February 12th. After February 12, our panel of judges will select a shortlist of the 10 best posts.
For the second round of the competition, the Top 10 contestants will write more on the Green Economy and those posts will be voted on by readers and our panel of judges at the UNEP website. Following these votes, the winning blogger will be announced on March 12. You'll find the official rules, submissions guidelines and FAQ on the UNEP site.
WED 2012 Theme: Green Economy: Does it Include You?
Each year, UNEP and World Environment Day selects a theme to bring attention to a particular environmental issue that needs our help. This year, the theme is Green Economy: Does it Include You?, which UNEP describes as "one that results in improved human well-being and social equity, while significantly reducing environmental risks and ecological scarcities. In its simplest expression, a green economy can be thought of as one which is low carbon, resource efficient and socially inclusive." You can read more about the WED 2012 Theme here.
- Visa costs
- and Travel within Brazil to WED events
World Environment Day is on June 5th, 2012. The contest winner will be flown to Brazil for about three days, beginning June 3rd and ending June 6th 2012. Short-listed and winning posts will linked to from TreeHugger and be published on the World Environment Day website.
Expenses for flight, hotel, travel Visa, insurance and travel within Brazil to WED events is covered by UNEP. Entrants will be expected to ensure they are able to travel to Brazi and cover any other costs (e.g. vaccinations).
How to enter and win
1. Write a compelling blog post about the Green Economy and how you/we are a part of it (for example in sustainable energy, green jobs, low carbon economies, green policies, green buildings, agriculture, fisheries, forestry, industries using efficient energy, sustainable tourism, sustainable transport, waste management, water and all other resource efficiency). Alternatively, entries can be e-mailed to email@example.com.
2. Post a link to your story onto the UNEP Facebook page with this comment, “I just entered to win a trip to Brazil for UNEP’s World Environment Day 2012. Read my blog post and discover how the Green Economy includes you.”
3. Entries must be received between 16 January and 12 February 2012.
4. To increase your chances of winning, post your story on Twitter with the hash tag #WED2012, and encourage friends to comment, ‘like’ the post on Facebook and share your post across Facebook and Twitter.
We will have more to announce as part of our partnership with UNEP in the coming weeks, including a fun photography project. In the meantime, we're looking forward to seeing your entries!
About World Environment Day 2012
2012 is the 40th anniversary for World Environment Day, since the creation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) in 1972.
Celebrating World Environment Day is about the inspirational power of individual action that, collectively, is multiplied into an exponential force that can effect positive change.